The Best Raised Garden Bed Reviews of 2021 | Top 6 Picks
Lost amidst many invigorating pastimes, gardening does not get its due credit. It works amazing as therapy and is highly rewarding, whether you are a skilled plantsman or not. You will learn to appreciate nature and never take it for granted anymore.
There are so many creative and fun ways to spruce up your gardens. Raised garden beds will ensure better drainage while also maintaining a good balance of soil compaction and moisture retention.
Check out our top 6 recommendations for the best raised garden bed and get details on why they are our favorite. You also should acquaint yourself with some basic guidelines that we have included down below.
Table of Contents
- Best Raised Garden Bed Kits
- Greenes Fence Cedar Raised Garden Kit
- Keter Urban Bloomer
- Vegepod – Raised Garden Bed
- Hudson Vinyl Garden Bed by Vita
- YAHEETECH 3 Tier Raised Garden Bed
- Giantex Raised Garden Bed Kit
- 7. FOYUEE Galvanized Raised Garden Bed
- 8. BLUEBERRY HILL Galvanized Steel Raised Garden Bed
- 9. ECOgardener Raised Bed Planter
- 10. MIXC Raised Garden Bed
- Things to Consider Before Choosing Raised Garden Beds
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final Words
Best Raised Garden Bed Kits
You can only determine the right choice of elevated planters after calculating multiple factors and limitations. And from there on, you can customize your garden just the way you like and make it the best feature in your house. But first, check out the kits you might be working with.
Greenes Fence Cedar Raised Garden Kit
- Boards slide into the corner posts without tools forming a...
- Stacking 2 of these makes your garden 21 inches tall (each...
- Package contains 21 boards, 6 corner posts, 6 decorative...
- The 2 ft. x 8 ft. x 10.5 in. Cedar Raised Garden Bed allows...
- Assembling this kit is a snap: simply slide the boards into...
Growing lush green plants and deep-root vegetables is every gardener’s dream. And with the help of cedar raised garden beds, you can mix and match your herbs and greenery any way you want.
Assembling it could not be less hassle-free. All you need is a handy-dandy screwdriver, and you are good to go. Just slide the boards into the corner posts and attach the fancy top using the screwdriver.
And that’s it. Add your soil and plants to your new clearance and take care of it to get one of your biggest harvests yet.
If you want to raise the platform even higher, try stacking 2 of these kits together. Your garden can reach as high as 21 inches!
The boards are durable with 11/16-inch of thickness and will stand firm until it is time to reassemble. Not to mention they are naturally rot- and insect-resistant, helping you keep your garden clean and pretty for a long time.
Also, the four-way routed corner posts make it super easy to expand or contract your configuration according to your yard. On top of that, there are three different product lines for you to choose from according to your style and budget.
The cedars are harvested from forests and treated chemical-free, so your garden will be 100% organic and sustainably sourced.
- Cedars are not treated with chemicals, so your entire garden will be sustainably sourced
- The product is naturally rotted and insect- resistant and will keep your garden in the best condition
- Three product lines to choose from according to budget and style
- Safe to mix and match different fruits and veggies
- Panels require a little finesse while fitting, or it may warp
Keter Urban Bloomer
- DIMENSIONS: 32. 3 in. L x 14. 7 in. W x 30. 7 in. H
- WATER GAUGE: Easy to read water gauge indicates when plants...
- DRAINAGE SYSTEM that can be opened or closed for full...
- WATER RESERVOIR: Full watering system includes a reservoir...
- EASY ASSEMBLY: Simple assembly with easy-to-follow...
If you have got this sudden urge to take up gardening, there is not much you can do if you do not have space for it. Besides, you do not want to be messing up your yard if it is just a passing fancy. You will be elated to know that getting one of the Keter Urban Bloomers might be the answer to your prayers.
These raised planter boxes are decent sized and take up only a small area. You can also bring them inside during winters and place them in the corner of your basement. It is well built and super easy to put together, with no tools required.
The boxes have a nice wood grain effect to them, and their dark grey color perfectly complements the aesthetic of any deck. It is UV protected, so no chances of the exterior fading even under the harshest sun exposure.
Their manufacturers have thought of everything when making this kit. There is a water gauge to indicate when your plants are parched and need additional moisture. The self-watering system and drainage tap then takes overhydration and maintains the moisture level, preventing root decay and overwatering.
If you love gardening but had to give it up because of bad limbs, you can start it again. The ergonomic design and fully standing mount type eliminate the need to bend over. Who says you must get your knees deep in mud to get fruitful results?
You can plant 8-10 bunches of herbs in one stand, so you can stop spending so much money on store-bought herbs that you never fully use.
- Standing mount type to eliminate the need for bending
- UV protected, so sun exposure doesn’t fade the color
- Self-watering and drainage tap for trouble-free hydration
- Has a bottom shelf for extra storage
- Can only hold a few bunches of herbs
Vegepod – Raised Garden Bed
- RAISED GARDEN BED KIT: Vegepod Raised Garden Bed Kits are...
- SELF WATERING: Vegepod is self-watering, meaning it utilises...
- PROTECTIVE COVER: Each Vegepod comes with a Vegecover which...
- ASSEMBLY & WARRANTY: With the modular design, setup is...
- IDEAL SIZE FOR A STARTER GARDEN: Small enough to fit in a...
Truth be told, the trend of container gardening is out, and raised planters are in. After all, with Vegepod raised garden bed kits, you can get all the benefits of the former and so much more.
The base of the planter contains the soil and allows only your planted vegetation to access the nutrients. And due to the use of a wicking system, the soil stays moist for weeks without watering. So, you can go out on extended holidays and return home to still healthy and lush plants.
Also, the box would not be subjected to rot easily because of the clever use of polypropylene plastic. Besides rot, the attached cover also protects against all sorts of weather.
The commercial-grade canopy stands as a barrier against the harshest sun, frost, and window but maintains the moisture level inside by letting air and water penetrate.
Vegepod’s self-watering system also entails a mist-spray watering system built into the top cover, which you can plug into a standard hose fitting. You also have an option to add a timer if needed.
Start growing your vegetables and make it a family thing. Your kids will love getting their hands dirty and will be encouraged to eat the produce they grew. It is a great way for them to start eating their greens, isn’t it?
Due to the creation of a micro-climate, you do need to spend much time on it anyway. Just level it up to your waist when it is time to work and start working on the garden of your fantasy.
- The canopy adds protection against pests and harsh weather conditions
- Micro-climate promotes maximum harvest growth with least efforts
- The built-in mist sprayer hydrates your plants when you forget or go on vacations
- Easily raise it to waist height and reduce bending
- It can become heavy when filled and require wheels to move around
Hudson Vinyl Garden Bed by Vita
You want to grow your food under the best conditions possible, and that means using the right products. But all the hard work would be in vain if chemicals from the raised garden boxes leech into your soil. And here is where the Hudson vinyl bed steps in!
Made from food-grade BPA and phthalate-free composite, you can grow your fruits and veggies inside safely and without worry. They can be deep-rooted veggies, herbs, or beautiful flowers to brighten up your outdoor space.
It takes less than a minute to put together the 4 identical hollow vinyl rectangles. They each come with two notches, so you know what goes where without having to read an instruction manual. Everything you need is included in the packaging.
These garden beds will last for many years to come. They do not need paint touch-ups or stains to revitalize their looks. All you must do is quickly rinse out the dirt and mud with a garden hose, and boards will be as good as new.
Besides, these boxes have more versatile uses than being a garden planter. You can cover the bottom with a good quality landscaping fabric or sand, and it will function perfectly as a sandbox for your child. It will also work right as a whelping area, fitting your dogs and their adorable puppies.
This is a great product overall and will live up to your expectations, no matter how high they are!
- BPA and phthalate-free composite to safely grow your food
- Easy to assemble without requiring instructions
- Vinyl covering maintains its outer look for many years
- Has many versatile uses rather than simply being a garden bed
- A little overpriced for what it offers
YAHEETECH 3 Tier Raised Garden Bed
- Useful & Practical – With this helpful planter, you can...
- 3 TIERS DESIGN: This elevated planter provides 3 growing...
- Low maintenance required – Our high-quality garden bed...
- Easy-to-assemble – This vegetable garden is built in a...
- NICE-LOOKING GARDENING ACCESSORY: Decorative end caps on the...
The 3-tiered above ground garden box is a favorite of many novice gardeners. You can work in constricted areas easily and not worry about oversights or slight calculations ruining the beauty of your outdoor space.
Its 3 levels allow you to play around with your choices and have a little fun. You can choose to grow in different seeds or attempt various planting methods, all at the same time.
The wood used is stable and solid, strong enough to support the weight of the garden bed itself along with the soil and plants. It is made of 100% fir with no chemical additives for the safest harvesting.
With the help of the wood plugs inserted, you can easily transform the tiers into single separate beds of different sizes. You would need about 20 cubic feet of soil to fill them in and started growing your plants.
These planters are super easy to assemble, and they look great. But before you start popping the parts in, reread the instructions a couple of times to verify that you are on the right track. You do not want to attach the pieces incorrectly and weaken the area that needs rectifying.
This bed looks great both inside and outside the house. Place it in your deck, porches, patios, or balconies. Not only are they practical, but they will also be the most nice-looking garden accessory that you own!
- Made with 100% natural fir wood frame for sustainable and safe plantation
- 3-tier stair type design would allow you to try different growing methods
- Can be placed both indoors and outdoors to serve its practical and decorative purposes
- You can also transform the tiers into separate beds for more real estate value
- Does not contain a bottom plate and each partition is immoveable
Giantex Raised Garden Bed Kit
- 【100% Natural Cedar Wood】Use completely natural Cedar to...
- 【Stable and Durable Cedar Garden Bed】Amazing thick and...
- 【Outdoor and Indoor Usage】This plant bed can be placed...
- 【Spacious Deep Bed and Perfect Height】 The leg base...
- 【Quick Assembly】Hardware and assembly manual are...
Since most of you want your garden outlook to be all modern, neat, and pristine, most manufacturers have released products that cater to that need. However, the Giantex raised garden planters to offer something different.
The cedar used has been designed to give a rough-sawn look to your outdoor décor, giving your entire yard a woodsy and natural feel to it. It is completely environmentally friendly and ensures a safe climate for your greens to grow in.
This table is strong and durable and can handle the heavyweight. There are holes drilled underneath to regulate the moisture level and help the plants breathe easily.
It fits easily into small areas like the corners of your balconies, patios, and yards but is large enough to hold your favorite veggies and herbs. Although, since the tabletop does not have much depth, you need to choose plants with shallower roots.
If you would like to paint your bed to blend in with the surrounding, you can try putting on a coat or two before you start assembling. Spray paint also works just fine.
You do not have to exert much effort or sweat to construct the raised bed. No need for a mallet or a drill to position the corners. However, there are a lot of screws to work with, so you really need to take some time with it.
This product very well deserves a place on this list. It is definitely worth the price.
- Cedarwood gives a nice rough-sawn outlook to your backyard
- 4 drilled holes underneath drain excess water and maintain the water level
- Planter is raised to waist level, so you don’t need to get on your knees and get your clothes dirty
- Can be placed straight on the ground without having to put any landscaping fabrics
- Cedarwood absorbs the moisture when it rains and clogs up the drainage tap
7. FOYUEE Galvanized Raised Garden Bed
- ✔ SIZE: 96''(L) x 48''(W) x 12''(H), provide extra large...
- ✔ DURABLE: Made of stable thickened galvanized metal,...
- ✔ OPEN BOTTOM: Sits on the ground garden bed, provide good...
- ✔ SAFETY: Bottomless design, plants didn't touch the metal...
- ✔ EASY SETUP: Only need about 5min and easy to put it...
The FOYUEE Galvanized Raised Garden Bed is a fantastic solution for growing greens, herbs, flowers, and more. Its lower-profile design can easily accommodate all types of gardens or work as a standalone planter.
The durability of the raised garden bed is precisely what you’ve been looking for to add stability to your plants. Compared to other garden beds typically made from wood, this planter is crafted using thickened galvanized steel.
You’ll find that it can withstand plenty of wear and tear, especially when it comes to the pressure of compacted soil. For added durability, there’s an integrated crossbar with an anti-rust coating to prevent tarnishing over time.
One of the more convenient features you’ll grow to love is the open bottom, allowing the planter to sit on the ground. You’ll find it’s easier to manage drainage with an open bottom as well as keep weeds away from your plants. The bottomless design is also essential for ensuring your plants don’t touch metal, preventing contamination.
As mentioned, there’s an anti-rust coating applied to some aspects of the galvanized metal. Fortunately, the coating is eco-friendly, so you won’t need to worry about chemicals contaminating your plants.
With a five-minute setup, you’ll be able to build the lushest garden in far less time than with other models.
- Effortless assembly
- No problems with bowing
- Looks aesthetically pleasing
- Arrives with everything for assembly
- The sheet metal is thinner than expected
- Sharp planter edges are sharp
8. BLUEBERRY HILL Galvanized Steel Raised Garden Bed
- EXTRA -LARGE: 80" L x 40" W x 19.7" H with 272 Gallon...
- GO DEEPER：19.7 Inch extra-deep raised garden bed holds...
- PREMIUM MATERIAL: It is made of Anti-rust corrugated...
- SAFETY & STABILITY: This steel raised garden bed has Rolled...
- QUICK ASSEMBLY: Simple setup with easy-to-follow...
The BLUEBERRY HILL Galvanized Steel Raised Garden Bed is an excellent option if you need a large bed with raised sides. The higher sides are remarkable for taller vegetables and herbs and hold more soil for nourishment. In total, it measures 80”x40x19.7”, ideal for the majority of mid to large size gardens.
This model is made with a galvanized coating known for rigidity and rust protection like other steel garden beds. The extra-large size is a fantastic solution for growing an assortment of goodies, especially if you’re looking for higher yields.
Another significant upgrade you’ll love is the 19.7” extra-deep design essential for holding increased moisture. Over time, you’ll likely have to water your plants less, making upkeep significantly simpler.
The premium material also adds to its reliability, with corrugated anti-rust galvanized steel paired with powder-coating. Thanks to its incredible support, it’s the perfect solution for gardeners searching for secure and stable garden beds.
Inside of the planter, you’ll find four steel cross support bars that help to prevent bowing. Also, the edges have been safely rolled to ensure there aren’t any sharp sides that could cut you while gardening.
Overall, it’s a well-built unit with many top-tier conveniences.
- Incredible depth
- High-quality powder coating
- Prevents rusting over years
- Useful for retaining moisture
- Annoying plastic film
- Shows scratches easily
9. ECOgardener Raised Bed Planter
- ASSEMBLES IN MINUTES - No nails, screws or other tools...
- NO MORE BACK PAINS - These elevated raised beds provide...
- ROT-RESISTANT TO LAST A LONG TIME - Made from 100% non-toxic...
- EASY TO STACK AND EXPAND - Every assemblage was made to fit...
- VALUE FOR MONEY - At ECOgardener we pride ourselves on...
If simplicity is what you’re looking for in your garden, the ECOgardener Raised Bed Planter is a beautiful addition. It’s designed to pair perfectly with a country farmhouse-style home with its stunning wooden design. You’ll also find that it offers plenty of space for growing a moderate amount of vegetables, plants, and flowers.
The quick assembly of this unit is one of its most impressive features, as there aren’t any tools needed for setup. All you have to do is slide the planter’s joints together to assemble it in a matter of minutes.
The ECOgardener Raised Bed Planter is a phenomenal solution because it reduces the bending over you need to do.
When discussing quality, it’s important to consider the high-quality non-toxic plantation timber used to make the planter. This material is specifically sourced to offer impressive strength and durability while withstanding rot and weathering. If you want to take a more customized approach to design your garden, you can also stain the wood as desired.
Growing your garden is easy with this planter box as well, as it’s designed to be used with other raised beds. All you have to do is place them next to each other for a seamless growing area filled with your favorite veggies.
- Fantastic quality
- Well-sanded timber
- Arrives with fabric liner
- Easily stained for customization
- Could require a hammer for assembly
- The liner might need reinforcing
10. MIXC Raised Garden Bed
- 【Sturdy Design Garden box 】Compared to other products,...
- [Larger size, more plants] Overall 50.6*26.2*31 INCH,...
- 【Garden Bed Everywhere 】This raised garden bed has two...
- 【Easy to Assemble & Drainage System 】With clear...
- 【What You Get】One increase size garden bed + 4...
The MIXC Raised Garden Bed has a stunning industrial style that pairs well in any garden. Its all-black design sets it apart from other raised garden beds, ideal for modern and contemporary properties.
The elevated design makes it exceptionally simple to put to good use, especially if you need a larger area for planting. There’s no doubt this gardening bed is designed for stability, especially with the L-shaped table legs.
You’ll find that they quickly disperse weight across the entire planter, adding ample support. Also, the reinforced planter bottom holds up to 130 pounds, and the planter handles a total weight capacity of 467 pounds.
One of the main things you’ll love with the MIXC Raised Garden Bed is its maneuverability. There are two easy-rolling wheels at one end that make it effortless to adjust your garden’s positioning. This feature is critical if you need to move your plants indoors or outdoors.
As an added convenience, you’ll also find fixed hooks on either side so you can keep your gardening tools stored. We also fell in love with the bottom shelf, which acts as extra storage to keep all of our necessities in one place. Fortunately, the assembly is easy as well with the clear installation guide.
When it comes to drainage, there’s a single hollow drain hole added to the bottom partition. Gardeners will also find several drainage lines in the corners and centers, maximizing adequate moisture. Depending on your needs, you can turn the drainage lines on or off for complete watering control.
- Sturdy with added soil
- Easy to assemble
- Easy-to-use wheels
- Holds an adequate number of plants
- Rusts quicker than expected
- Questionable sturdiness over time
Things to Consider Before Choosing Raised Garden Beds
Raised garden beds can fit anywhere and require minimum maintenance. But you might want to prepare a little before installing one right away.
Types of Raised Garden Beds
Raised bed garden kits can be found of three types.
Raised Ground Bed:
These kits are perfect for covering large areas. They do not require extra equipment or added expense to build supporting frames.
Supported Raised Bed
This type of garden bed has an edge to contain all the soil. They are usually made of wood, plastics, or other durable metals.
Containerized Raised Beds
These containers have the most versatile uses. You can place them in limited spaces or high-traffic areas without reducing accessibility.
Do You Have A Suitable Location?
While raised vegetable beds allow you the freedom to plant your veggies anywhere, but they should be able to receive eight full hours of sun every day.
Place them in the sunniest part of your yard for your crops to grow healthily. And you also want them to be near a water source so you can have access to a hose.
You should also not want the beds to get in your way and limit your mobility within the garden.
Do You Need A Stand?
If you have bad knees or back, you should minimize bending to the least you can. Having the bed at a waist level will ensure you are not putting too much pressure on your body. Moreover, a stand will allow you to enjoy your gardening evenings without worrying about your clothes getting dirty.
Is There An Abundance Of Wildlife In Your Area
There is nothing more frustrating than walking to your gardens one fine morning and finding out all your crops are chewed on and destroyed.
To prevent that, elevating your plantations to a higher platform will ward off all unwanted animals. It will deter pests from hopping on. If you want more barriers, then you can always add hoops or row covers as barriers.
Raised vegetation planters are the best option to stay safe from all gophers and nuisances.
Choosing the right material for your raised bed is very important. Since you want the safest conditions to grow your fruits, veggies, and herbs in, the materials used to be sustainable and completely chemical-free.
Most woods used now are perfectly conditioned for organic growing. Many materials like cedar contain oil, which makes them naturally rot- and insect-resistant.
If you want to use plastics, you must check first that it is BPA and phthalate-free, with no toxic paint coats used. You cannot, however, pick concrete blocks or bricks as they will alter the soil pH over time.
Most standards raised beds are three to four feet wide and are six to eight feet long. You can expand or contract your beds however you want. What you must ensure is you can easily work on your garden bed without having to enter inside and displace the soil.
The depth is also very important. While there should be a minimum of 6 inches of soil, 12” is perfect since your roots have enough space to grow and breathe. It will also retain more moisture. Remember, the deeper the roots are, the healthier the plants will be.
Easy To Assemble
The assembling process of an elevated garden bed is not too difficult. Thirty minutes to an hour should be more than enough to put all the pieces together and fill the space up with soil.
Although the instructions may seem easy, you should reread them a couple of times to know exactly what to do. Repeatedly screwing and unscrewing the parts may warp the boards and leave unwanted dents. Also, you should look for beds that require only a bare minimum tool to assemble.
Galvanized steel garden beds have recently taken up the market by a storm and are getting very popular. It is because they do not affect the pH of the soil at all due to the absence of acidity for the zinc coating to break down.
While the zinc gradually does degrade, it may take many years. Since both plants and humans need a little zinc as nutrition, the microscopic amount absorbed by the soil is not harmful. Some plants may even appreciate the slight boost.
Plastic raised bed garden kits are the ideal choice if you are low on budget. Usually made of recycled materials, these products are guaranteed for life. They do not rot or fall apart easily and hold up well for many years. Nor do they crack or chip, no matter the extreme weather conditions.
But they can also be very expensive because of the life expectancy and durability. Plastic boards also do not have much linear strength and will sag and bow outwards. So, when purchasing plastic garden beds, you should always ensure they have some sort of cross-bracing to improve longevity.
Cedar raised beds are the most liked garden bed kits in the garden. They are excellent woods that are naturally weather and rot-resistant. With the placement of cedar beds, your garden’s aesthetic appeal increases, and it gets a very rusty and natural vibe to it.
However, these beds are not without faults. When left untreated, they turn into a silver-grey color, which is not a sight for sore eyes. Their lifetime is also shorter compared to other materials. Moreover, they are prone to retain moisture, which can trigger rotting.
Thus, they require more maintenance than others, such as using non-toxic wood stabilizers to preserve the wood’s lifespan and staining treatments to change its color.
Garden beds only require an initial expense while setting up. And it is pretty much maintenance-free over the years to come.
But the product should be well worth the price. You do not want to spend hundreds of dollars on a bed that warps easily and has a short product life when you could be DIY-ing something similar on your own. That too with half the expense!
While all raised garden beds have a similar goal to achieve, some of them include features that are admirable and highly appreciated.
Extra storage space, wheels for moving the heavy object around, removable covers to protect against harsh weather conditions, self-watering systems are all something to look out for.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why should I use a raised garden bed?
Raised garden beds are worth it! They warm up quickly and create favorable circumstances for a longer growing season. You do not have to stress about moisture levels or drainage systems as they are well regulated.
Are raised garden beds portable?
Yes, most of them are. Many raised bed garden kits come with wheels, which makes it easier to move the soil-filled and heavy beds around. It is also a great attribute for gardeners with mobility problems and bad limbs.
What factors should I consider when buying a raised garden bed?
There are many factors you should be paying heed to before you purchase an elevated planter. We have included a detailed guide above that you should thoroughly look through.
Gardening is a beautiful and rewarding hobby. But if you are scared to start, getting raised planters will ease all your woes. The best raised garden beds will make you feel less like a novice and more like a pro in no time. You can also entice your family to join and make your family time even more fun.